Aafia Siddiqui is the Pakistani scientist accused of shooting at U.S. officers while in Afghan custody last month. She has been extradited to the United States and will face a United States Magistrate Judge in New York District Court on multiple charges related to attempted murder and assault of United States officers and employees in Afghanistan.

So here’s what went down: On July 17, 2008, officers of the Ghazni Province Afghanistan National Police (“ANP”) observed Aafia Siddiqui outside the Ghazni governor’s compound. ANP officers questioned Siddiqui because she was acting suspicious. They also searched her handbag. In it, they found a boatload of documents describing the creation of explosives, as well as excerpts from the “Anarchist’s Arsenal.” Some of her papers included descriptions of various landmarks in the United States, including in New York City. Siddiqui was also in possession of “substances” that were sealed in bottles and glass jars. She was promptly arrested.

The next day, a party of United States personnel, including two FBI special agents, a United States Army Warrant Officer, a United States Army Captain, and United States military interpreters, arrived at the Afghan facility where Siddiqui was being held. The personnel entered a second floor meeting room — unaware that Siddiqui was being held there, *unsecured* behind a curtain.

The Warrant Officer took a seat and placed his United States Army M-4 rifle on the floor next to the curtain. Shortly after the meeting began, the Captain heard a woman yell from the curtain and, when he turned, saw Siddiqui holding the Warrant Officer’s rifle and pointing it directly at the Captain. Siddiqui yelled out,

“May the blood of [unintelligible] be directly on your [unintelligible, possibly head or hands].”

I guess we can insert our own words — we’ve heard it all before. So, the interpreter seated closest to Siddiqui lunged at her and pushed the rifle away as Siddiqui pulled the trigger. Siddiqui fired at least two shots but no one was hit. The Warrant Officer returned fire with a 9 mm service pistol and fired approximately two rounds at Siddiqui’s torso, hitting her at least once. Only once?

Despite being shot, Siddiqui struggled with the officers when they tried to subdue her; she struck and kicked them while shouting in English that she wanted to kill Americans. After being subdued, Siddiqui temporarily lost consciousness. The agents and officers then rendered medical aid to Siddiqui.

Siddiqui is a 36-year-old Pakistani Scientist and an MIT grad in microbiology. She is the mother of 3 children. Aafia Siddiqui’s husband Ammar al-Baluchi, also known as Ali Abd al-Aziz Ali, is currently on trial with Khalil Sheik Mohammed (the 9/11 mastermind) and is described as Mohammed’s nephew. If convicted, Siddiqui faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison on each charge.

Welcome back to America Dr. Siddiqui!