Yesterday, in West Virginia’s Democratic Presidential primary, Barack Obama managed to get 60% of the votes. Well done, Mr. President. His opponent, who managed to get the other 40% of ballots cast, was a man by the name of Keith Judd, who resides in Texas, and who is also known as prisoner number 11593-051. That’s right; he is a prisoner, serving a nine year sentence for extortion. But never fear; if he gets elected, he will be released in June 2013, so he will be able to serve nearly his complete term.
What do we know about Keith Russell Judd? He’s 54 years old and serving his sentence at Beaumont Federal Correctional Institution. He was convicted of making threats at the University of New Mexico in order to extort money. In the same never-say-die spirit that has characterized his political career, Judd has thus far filed 36 appeals. However, each of them has proven fruitless thus far.
Judd has a long history of seeking political office. His first run for President was in 1996 but he was unable to win any delegates. He then decided to set his sights a little lower, running for Mayor of Albuquerque and Governor of New Mexico. In 2008, he ran in the Democratic Idaho Presidential primary, and managed to finish third. But nothing compares to his West Virginia success yesterday.
It would be easy to reject Mr. Judd’s candidacy out of hand. However, he has an impressive biography. According to VoteSmart, he attended the JFK School of Politics at Harvard in 1998; he also attended the University of New Mexico in 1992, taking classes in business, music, speech, and dance. He also alleges that he attended the University of California Los Alamos, where he took classes in physics and acoustics. He claims to have attended UCLA from 1972 to 1978, taking classes in theatre, dance, music, and psychology. Obviously, he was a wunderkind, since he was only 14 years old when he began there.
But Judd is not purely an academic. In 1963, at the age of 5, he founded an organization, World Peace through Musical Communications Skills, and retains the leadership of this notable group. For a while in the 1970s and 1980s, he was a member of the Federation of Super Heroes. In typical self-deprecating fashion, Judd has not revealed what his super power is, apparently preferring to keep this secret until after he becomes President.
With Judd’s astounding performance yesterday in West Virginia, he thus becomes the second challenger to Obama to receive delegates at the Democratic National Convention this summer. He joins Randall Terry, founder of Operation Rescue, who received nearly 20% of the votes in Oklahoma earlier this year.